Sunday 1 December 2013

"In My Habitat" - Guest Post by Anna Staniszewski

Today, we have an amazing author with us - Anna Staniszewski.  You know how much I love her "My Very Unfairy Tale Life" (see review here and here).  Today, we are going to see her upcoming release, "The Dirt Diary", and an amazing guest post!  You can see my review of this book at the beginning of next month.


Original Title: The Dirt Diary
Author: Anna Staniszewski 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Release Date: January 7th, 2014
Genre: Middle Grade

After her parents' divorce, eighth-grader Rachel Lee joins her mother's new housecleaning business, which has her scrubbing bathrooms in her more popular classmates' homes and learning useful secrets.

IN MY HABITAT

- Guest Post by Anna Staniszewski 

I used to dream of the day when I could have an office just for writing. I imagined a desk where I’d sit for hours brainstorming ideas, solving plot problems, and typing furiously when inspiration struck. A few years ago, my husband and I moved into a new house with a space for my very own office. Finally, my dream had come true!


At first, I used the desk all the time, and I loved having my own space that I could fill with books.


But as the years went on, I started doing most of my writing anywhere BUT at my desk. I came to the realization that I’m more of a nest writer than a desk writer. I like to snuggle into the corner of the living room sofa with my laptop perched on my knees, my dog sprawled by my feet.


Or sometimes, if I need a spot that feels more official, I go curl up on the sofa in my husband’s home office with my dog napping nearby.


There are days, though, when I need to get some serious work done. So, instead of sitting in my office, I get in my car and drive to The Writers’ Loft (an amazing non-profit founded by my friend Heather) and sit at one of THEIR desks. Why? Because those are days when I need more than a desk; I need a feeling of community as well.



Now, don’t feel too bad for my desk. It may be a little bit neglected, but the truth is that it served me well for as long as I needed it. My writing preferences may have changed, but it’s still there if I need it. And just think, that lucky desk has an office all to itself!

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the amazing post, Anna!  What do you think of Anna's writing spots?

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's my pleasure to host you, Anna! You wrote one of my favorite middle grade series!

      Delete
  2. YAY! You write magic wherever you sit, Anna. (Although I prefer it when you sit at the desk next to mine!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the process setting up an office, even knowing that I probably won't hardly ever do much writing in it(shh, don't tell my husband). I just love prettying up my bookcases and setting up the desk all nice and having a cork board for inspirational stuff. Like, Anna, I'm a nest writer all the way- and the ends of our couch reclines. Heaven! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these behind the scenes glimpses. Thanks for sharing your writing space, Anna.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...