Sunday 8 December 2013

Mini Review: The Woman Who Flummoxed the Fairies by Heather Forest

For a children's book, according to me, illustrations are as important as the story itself.


Original Title: The Woman Who Flummoxed the Fairies
Author: Heather Frost
Publisher: August House
Release Date: September 11 2013
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Genre: Children's, Fairy tales

When the bakerwoman is kidnapped by the fairies to bake her delicious cakes for them alone, she uses all her wits to beat them at their own game. “While depicting a strong, resourceful heroine, Forest’s graceful retelling perfectly captures the story’s fairy-tale flavor. . . . Gaber’s haunting paintings range from the wonderfully eerie to the comfortably reassuring.”--Publishers Weekly

REVIEW

A retelling of an old Scottish fairy tale!  Fairies kidnap the bakerwoman, who makes the most delicious cakes.  How the bakerwoman escapes the fairies and gets back to her husband and child, is illustrated as a story.

I must accept that this fairy tale story again impressed me.  See, I am from India and I learnt all English fairy tales on my own interest when I was young.  Our native fairy tales are very different.  This story reminded me of one of ours.  It's simple, smart and well, meant for children to learn that intelligence will get out of difficult situations.

The illustrations could have been better.  Maybe I am expecting Scholastic standards, but for a book, which is primarily for children, the illustrations wouldn't impress the kids to pick it up.

3.5 STARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...