Wednesday 1 January 2014

Guest Post "IN MY HABITAT": The Real Prom Queens of Westfield High by Laurie Boyle Crompton


Original Title: The Real Prom Queens of Westfield High
Author: Laurie Boyle Crompton
Publisher: Soucebooks Fire
Release Date: February 4th, 2014
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult

Shannon’s ‘clique’ is just her and her best friend and she has a super-embarrassing nickname that won’t go away. It is no huge shock when her classmates vote her least likely to be crowned Prom Queen. What is shocking is the new hidden camera reality show she finds herself starring in, titled The Prom Queen Wannabes! Shannon and two other Wannabes must battle to be elected Prom Queen and snag the One! Million! Dollar! prize. After a summer of makeovers and training at Prom Queen Camp, the hidden cameras watch the three of them enter their senior year equipped with secret skills to help wage war on the popular set. Things at Westfield High are about to get ugly, and Shannon must decide how much she's willing to give up for a shot at winning that tiara.

IN MY HABITAT

- Guest Post by Laurie Boyle Crompton

I’m one of those people who can fall asleep anyplace and I think that remarkable skill translates to being able to tune out my surroundings and write wherever I am too. Just as I once would drift off to dreamland on my morning train commute, I’m able to lapse into creating prose pretty much anywhere. Now that I’m writing full time I like to act like a responsible adult and work at my actual desk whenever I can. My days of sleeping in public are over, but I do manage to stay in my jammies more often than not.

I’m happy to have a small room on our second floor as my writing studio. It’s cozy and cluttered with pictures and notes that encourage me to persevere, and an electric teakettle to keep the tea flowing. The Long Island Rail Road runs right past my window and I like the way that makes me feel connected to my editors who are a half hour away in NYC. I’m so lucky to have two amazing editors at great publishing houses and I don’t want to let anybody down.



When I need a kick in the pajama jeans to stay motivated I’ll use a Sharpie to give myself a temporary tattoo on my wrist that says “Writers Write.” It’s a perfect reminder to keep me glued to that keyboard since becoming a writer has been my lifelong dream. For big deadlines I’ll sometimes drive to our rustic trailer upstate in New Paltz where I can hunker down and focus without any distractions. These occasional one-woman-writing-retreats are amazing and I’ll go days without speaking to anyone except my characters. Best of all, the wi-fi can be a little sketchy so it keeps me away from the modern novelist’s greatest time-suck: the internet.


Having space in my life devoted to writing is an incredible blessing. There have been times when I have had to fight hard to keep the dream alive but in the end, I’m a writer. And writers write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...