Monday 13 January 2014

Review: Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

I have had this book for so long sighing every time I see it my Kindle and saying that I will definitely get back to it one day.  And now finally I got to read it and I just don't want to stop reading..


Original Title: Spark
Series: Elemental #2
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington
Release Date: August 28th, 2012
Source: Own copy
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can't. Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he's not doing it. And no one seems to believe him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Because Layne has a few secrets of her own...

REVIEW

Gabriel Merrick has been a total idiot in the previous book, Storm.  And we are finally able to get to Gabriel's POV.  Gabriel has trouble being in control with his element - FIRE.  And there were fires in town.. And although Gabriel is not the one starting it, his own brother doubt it.  Between that, he was banned from his school game, until he passes his math test, which he was never able to do until now.  His life seems to get as low as possible, except for one bright thing - Layne.  Layne, who always wears turtlenecks and jeans and appears nerdy with glasses, is all Gabriel can think about.

I liked the couple..more than Chris and Becca in "Storm".  Gabriel is totally reckless, totally out of control in his moods and totally hot.  I hated him picking fight with Nick.  I hated him not giving a crap about what others think when the words come out of his mouth.  But still..the guy is trying..  Although Gabriel solves his problems with fists, he always stands up for everyone he cares about and I love him about it.  His stunt with the Layne's father made me both shocked and amused.

Her dad took a step forward.  "I'll have you arrested and charged with trespassing and statutory rape."
"Then I'm going to need another fifteen minutes."

Seriously????  That's what you say to your girl friend's father?  I want to hit him in the face and then I was laughing so hard..  Whatever..I just don't get this guy.

I enjoyed the initial banter between Quinn (Becca's friend) and Gabriel..

"Oh, you don't like that?  What about this?"  She licked her finger and stuck it in his ear.
He smacked her hand away.  He'd never punched a girl, but she might be the first.

Layne is a strong girl, although she seems timid at first.  After reading all her secrets, I am sure she is great for Gabriel.  I don't want to give more spoilers, speaking about Layne.  I will just say that the girl had faced her share of torture and she deserves to be happy.

Some more shocking secrets are revealed at the end.  And rest of the brothers are maturing as well.  They are kids for God's sake, and they are facing troubles and responsibilities more than they can take - all with a guy in their head always trying to shut them off completely.

I can't stop reading and I immediately started with my ARC of "Secret"..

Brigid Kemmerer has proven it yet again that she can hold the readers' attention until the end and make them crave for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...